Liquid optically clear adhesive (LOCA) is an essential component in the assembly of liquid crystal displays (LCDs). Its unique properties offer a multitude of advantages that enhance the efficiency, accuracy, optical clarity, and overall performance of the LCD assembly process. Among these advantages, the low viscosity of LOCA plays a particularly critical role in ensuring the production of high-quality LCD displays.
One of the notable advantages of low-viscosity LOCA is its ease of application. Due to its highly fluid nature, it is much simpler to spread and dispense compared to high-viscosity LOCA. This characteristic streamlines the assembly process, enabling technicians to apply the adhesive with greater precision and speed, resulting in operational efficiency and accuracy, for improved productivity during the LCD assembly.
Why Use Low-Viscosity Adhesives for LCDs
In addition to its ease of use, low-viscosity LOCA also minimizes the formation of air bubbles. Air bubbles can significantly impair the optical clarity and overall performance of LCD displays. However, the lower viscosity of LOCA reduces the likelihood of trapped air bubbles during the bonding process or bubble removal due to low surface tension. What's more, the low viscosity and the addition of wetting agents further reduce the surface tension of the adhesive, making it easier for it to flow into tight spaces.
One of the significant benefits of using low-viscosity LOCA is its ability to achieve a thin bond line thickness without compromising on the strength of the bond. Low viscosity allows the adhesive to spread quickly over surfaces, ensuring a uniform and consistent bond. When bonding display panels or touchscreen glass, a thin bond line helps maintain the overall slim profile of the device while maximizing the touch sensitivity. By closely aligning with the glass, low viscosity LOCA minimizes the occurrence of optical distortions, such as color shifts or image blurring, thereby ensuring optimal visual clarity for end-users.
Furthermore, low-viscosity LOCA significantly reduces the amount of stress exerted on LCD components. Traditional high-viscosity adhesives can sometimes exert excessive pressure on delicate components, potentially leading to undesirable MURA effects. With its low viscosity, LOCA gently adheres without subjecting the components to unnecessary strain.
Benefits of Non-Silicone Adhesives
Low-viscosity LOCA possesses a cost advantage over high-viscosity LOCA. This means that it is usually less expensive to procure. The reduced cost of low-viscosity LOCA not only contributes to the affordability of the individual components but also aids in reducing the overall cost of the LCD display. Thus, manufacturers can benefit financially by utilizing this adhesive alternative in their production processes.
Resin Designs’ single-component non-silicone adhesive can be reworked which is important in LCD assembly for several reasons:
- To correct errors: LOCA is a permanent adhesive, so any errors made during the assembly process can be difficult to correct. However, the ability to rework LOCA allows technicians to remove and reapply the adhesive, ensuring that the LCD display is assembled accurately and precisely.
- To repair defects: If a defect is discovered in the LCD display after assembly, the ability to rework LOCA allows technicians to disassemble the display and repair the defect. This can save manufacturers the time and cost of having to produce a new LCD display.
How LOCA Improves LCD Assembly
Resin Designs is a leading manufacturer that specializes in offering an extensive range of Liquid Optically Clear Adhesives (LOCA). These LOCA adhesives are single-component, UV-curable solutions that have become well-known in the production of optical displays and devices within the industry.
The key advantages of Resin Designs LOCA adhesives are:
- Able to provide fast and immediate curing, making them particularly suitable for high-speed or high-volume applications. This attribute allows manufacturers to streamline their production processes and reduce overall production time.
- LOCA orders are custom-tailored by use case for total control over material viscosity.
- Unlike other adhesive systems that require mixing and precise measurement, Resin Designs LOCA adhesives eliminate such concerns. They operate using a single-component curing mechanism, ensuring consistent and reliable performance.
- Resin Designs offers LOCA adhesives in a range of viscosities and hardness’, allowing manufacturers to select the adhesive that best suits their specific application requirements.
- Adhesives have superb resistance to thermal and mechanical shock.
- Another significant advantage of Resin Designs LOCA adhesives is their resistance to various chemicals and gases. Moreover, Resin Designs LOCA adhesives exhibit excellent bonding capabilities with most traditional substrates.
- Ultra-low shrinkage coupled with low modulus. Traditional adhesives can sometimes exert excessive pressure on delicate components, potentially leading to undesirable appearance and low clarity of the screen. Low viscosity LOCA allows the manufacturer to create a thin bond-line and when combined with ultra-low shrinkage and low modulus lowers the unnecessary strain on LCDA components.
Overall, low-viscosity LOCA offers a multitude of advantages that make it a critical adhesive for the production of high-quality LCD displays. Its ease of application, superior optical clarity, exceptional bonding strength, reduced stress on components, improved optical performance, faster curing time, cost-effectiveness, and effective bubble removal capabilities all contribute to a more efficient and productive LCD assembly process, ultimately resulting in LCD displays that meet the demands of both manufacturers and end-users.